These Cinnamon Cream Cheese Puff Pastry are like little bundles of crispy, flaky, and a delightful pieces of heaven. Each one filled with a surprise cream cheese and chopped almond filling and then covered with sugar and cinnamon.
These little bundles are very easy to make, even though they will look like you picked them up at a local bakery. No one will guess that you made them.
Make them as an after dinner dessert, a pastry to have with a coffee or to bring to a family gathering. I guarantee that just one won't be enough!
Making the Perfect Cinnamon Cream Cheese Puff Pastry
Making the Puff Pastry - Not!
Sorry, were you expecting step by step instructions on how to make puff pastry? Psych, not here. If you don't know me by now, I love short cuts. And, who wants to spend 4 hours making puffy pastry when you can waltz into your local grocery store to buy it? I used puff pastry like the one here from President's Choice. You can find puff pastry at your local grocery store in the freezer section next to pastry supplies like crusts and such. You don't need to use this brand, any brand will do.
Just make sure to let the puff pastry thaw out in the fridge. Don't keep it at room temperature for too long. If your puff pastry is no longer cool, place back in fridge until cool to the touch prior to baking. This will prevent the pastry from flopping out on your baking sheet and allow it to puff out nicely. Hence "puff".
Rolling out the Puff Pastry
You will need to roll out the dough into a rectangle of about 12" x 10". Make sure that you flour your surface before you try to roll out the puff pastry and that it is somewhat cool but not frozen. Also, have the filling and other ingredients ready because you don't want the puff pastry to be sitting out at room temperature for very long.
You will need to cut the rectangle into 2 pieces, each piece measuring about 12" x 5". Once you fill each piece, roll it up. Each roll will yield about 6 pieces. They will be small pieces, but with the heat of the oven, the pastry will rise and they will almost double in size.
Making the Cream Cheese Filling
The star of this Cinnamon Cream Cheese Puff Pastry recipe is the cream cheese filling. This filling is very easy to make just place softened cream cheese in a bowl and add icing sugar and then cream both together. You will then want to place the cream cheese mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Placing the cream cheese filling in a piping bag will make it easier for your to pipe it out on to the puff pastry in a line without making a mess.
After you take these out of the oven, role them in the sugar mixture again before letting them cool down completely.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a maximum of 3 days. You can also freeze for later. When you want to use them, thaw out in the fridge for 24 hours and then arrange them in a plate just prior to use.
Drop a comment below if you made these pastries. I’d love to see your pictures as well as know what you put in them. So don’t forget to post them on your Instagram account. Tag me at #girl_with_a_spatula and follow me @girl_with_a_spatula
Looking for other lip smacking recipes? Click here to search the site for some great inspiration.
- 250 g cream cheese
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 package - Frozen Puff Pastry Dough (only 1 sheet is needed)
- 1 tbsp flour ((to role out the dough))
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cups chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and regular sugar together in a plate.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream icing sugar and cream cheese. For ease of spreading, put the mixture in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Set aside.
- On a floured surface using the flour, roll out puff pastry a little making a rectangular sheet of about 12 x 10 inches.
- Cut the sheet lengthwise, so that you have two long 12 x 5 inch sheets.
- Pipe out the cream cheese horizontally across the length of the sheet, sprinkle walnuts and then begin to roll up the sheet lengthwise. Make sure that the seem is on the bottom.
- Cut the role into 6 even bundles.
- Melt the butter and using a brush take the butter and brush each bundle, then place each bundle in the sugar mixture to coat.
- Place on baking sheet. Repeat until you have made 12 bundles or so. Bake for about 25 minutes, keeping an eye that they do not burn. Make sure the bundles are sitting on their seem, otherwise they will puff out like crazy.
- As soon as you take them out, dip them again in the sugar mixture and plate for later. If they last that long, that is!
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 235Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 26mgSodium 165mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 3g
Nutrition data is calculated automatically by Nutritionix and isn't always accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and make no claims to the contrary. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health.