Oh my! Did I hear chocolate? Yup. Double Chocolate Muffins or Cupcakes to be exact. Who doesn't like chocolate?
These Double Chocolate Muffins can be left plain like a muffin or decorated with buttercream frosting around a dollop of white chocolate ganache centre for an extravagant dessert.
In fact, they are triple chocolate if you count the chocolate chips baked inside the muffin. Easy to make and guaranteed to be a win in your family.
Tips and Tricks to Making these Dreamy Double Chocolate Muffins or Cupcakes
One Step at a Time
Don't overwhelm yourself. This recipe for double chocolate muffins has three components if you want to add the icing to make cupcakes.
If you pace yourself and focus on one component, you'll be fine. I rated this recipe as easy for a reason. Because it is easy and practically foolproof.
Once you have your muffins in the oven you can go ahead and make the icing.
Don't mak the white chocolate ganache just yet, because as it set's it will get hard. If you do, note that you may need to warm it up to the point that it has a consistency that you can dollop it ontop of the muffin. But don't warm it up so much that it can be poured.
Preparation Makes Perfect
As always, line your muffin tins with muffin liners. The best muffin liners i've used are made of parchment paper. You can buy them or you can make your own. To make your own, see my recipe for pumpkin spice muffins. I've used these store bought muffin liners before, and I love them.
If you don't have muffin liners, no problem. Just grease your pan with butter or oil to ensure that these double chocolate muffins don't stick to your muffin tray.
If you have leftover buttercream frosting, you can store it in the freezer for another time that you need frosting. Just thaw it out in the fridge the day before.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for a maximum of 7 days. You can also freeze for later. When you are redy to eat them, thaw them out in the fridge for 24 hours.
Drop a comment below with your spin on this recipe. I’d love to see your pictures so don’t forget to post them on your Instagram account. Tag me at #girl_with_a_spatula and follow me @girl_with_a_spatula
Make this recipe now or PIN it for later.
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cups unsalted butter
- ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cups milk
- ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- ½ sticks butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp 35% cream
White Chocolate Ganache:
- 6 oz white chocolate
- 2 oz 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 12 cup muffin tray with cupcake liners. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine well.
- Place the butter and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on high until the butter is light in colour. Add eggs and beat well, scrape down bowl.
- Add vanilla and mix. Add flour gradually alternating with the milk. Mix to combine well. Add the chocolate chips and mix so that the chips are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the 12 cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Check often for doneness by placing a toothpick in the centre of the muffin. If the toothpick comes out dry, the muffins are done. Once done, remove from oven and place the muffins on a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
Butter Cream Frosting:
- Place 2 inch pieces of the butter into a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on high speed until the butter is light in colour. Add 1 cup of the icing sugar to the butter mixing at low speed first and then at high to mix well. Add another cup of the icing sugar. Once mixed add in the vanilla and mix.
- Once well incorporated add up to a tablespoon of the whipping cream and mix until you get the consistency that you are looking for in the icing. Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a star attachment (diameter slightly smaller than a dime). Store frosting at room temperature. Place a piece of saran wrap over the surface of the frosting so that it doesn’t get hard.
White Chocolate Ganache:
- Place the white chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave for 30 second intervals to soften. In a saucepan, bring whipping cream to a boil. Or you can warm it up in the microwave.
- Pour whipping cream over chocolate ensuring that the chocolate is full covered. Let sit for 3-4 minutes. Using a spatula stir mixture to combine well. Let stand until the mixture comes to room temperature. In fact, let it sit until it gets a little thick more on the solid side. Cover the surface of the ganache with a piece of saran wrap so that it does not form a skin.
- Pipe stars around the perimeter of the muffin. You can either scoop the white chocolate ganache into the centre or you can place the ganache into a plastic snackbag and pipe it out of a corner that has been cut. Repeat until all muffins have been decorated. You may reserve a few plain ones too!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 109mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g
Note that nutrition totals include frosting.