Don't know what to make tonight? This Easy Stuffed Balsamic Chicken Breast will be a winner whether you are making it for lunch or dinner. Hey that rhymes! I'm not a gourmet cook, but I love to experiment and use new ingredients to create or re-invent meals.
This stuffed balsamic chicken breast is filled with cheese, tomatoes and sweet basil and cooked in a sweet balsamic vinegar.
And, the best part is that it tastes just as good as it looks. The whole family will love this chicken paired up with your favorite vegetable or side.
Looking for a side dish to make with this Stuffed Balsamic Chicken Breast? Check out these side dishes here.
tips and tricks to making this easy stuffed balsamic chicken breast
choosing chicken pieces
Don't worry too much about whether to by fresh or frozen chicken. Chicken breast works best for this recipe because you can slice the chicken horizontally by pressing down on it to create a butterflied chicken breast.
Once the chicken breast is butterflied, you can then stuff it with anything you want. Don't forget to fold over the chicken to cover the tomato, cheese and basil. To watch a video on butterflying chicken breast, click here and watch how Lisa does it from Taste of Home.
If you plan on using frozen chicken breast, ensure that you take it out 24 hours before you plan to use it. Take it out of the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw out overnight.
using an oven safe fry pan
One thing that makes this recipe handy is having a skillet or frying pan that can go from stove top to the oven, like this one here. You can also use a fry pan that is all metal, including the handle. Just remember to use your oven mitts when you are taking the pan out of the oven.
And, if you don't have a pan that will go from stove top to oven, don't worry. Just transfer the chicken from the fry pan to a baking sheet or pyrex dish for the final step of baking.
must i use mozzarella?
No. If you don't like mozzarella, use another cheese. You can use feta, provolone, gouda cheese, etc. The options are endless. In fact, if you are not into cheese, substitute the cheese with either bacon or prosciutto. Use your imagination when it comes to the stuffing for this stuffed chicken breast recipe. You can't go wrong!
The preparation and cooking time for this stuffed balsamic chicken breast is about 45 minutes from start to finish. Which makes this perfect as a dinner option.
Don't forget to let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before you serve it to your family. This will prevent the hot chicken from scorching your mouth. I know sometimes it's hard to resist putting that piece of good looking food in your mouth, but you have to resist. Remember that patience is a virtue.
These Stuffed Chicken Breast will store fairly well as leftovers. Store leftovers for these amazing Chicken Breasts refrigerated in an airtight container for a maximum of 4 days. You can also freeze for later. When you want to eat them, thaw them out in the fridge for 24 hours and then warm it up.
Drop a comment below if you made this Easy Stuffed Balsamic Chicken Breast. I’d love to see your pictures. So don’t forget to post them on your Instagram account. Tag me at #girl_with_a_spatula and follow me @girl_with_a_spatula
Looking for other lip smacking recipes? Click here to search the site for some great inspiration.
Make this recipe for now or PIN it for later.
- 6 chicken breast, butterflied
- 1 large tomato
- ½ cups grated mozzarella
- 1 basil leave/chicken piece
- ½ cups balsamic vinegar (white vinegar if possible)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- ⅓ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 4 tbsp olive oil (2 for frying and 2 to brush top of chicken)
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- If you haven't already, butterfly the chicken breast by running a sharp knife from one end of the chicken to the other but do not going all the way through the chicken, You want to sort of create a book made out of chicken.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Season inside of chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper. Layer tomato, dried basil, mozzarella and fresh basil. Fold over the chicken and secure it with a toothpick. Repeat until all chicken breasts have been stuffed. Season the top of the chicken breasts with olive oil, oregano and dried basil.
- If you have an oven safe fry pan use it. Heat up the olive oil and butter, saute the garlic. Place each chicken breast in the pan and sear on both sides.
- While chicken is searing mix the vinegar and brown sugar together. Pour the mixture into the pan and let reduce for a minute, make sure both sides are coated with mixture. Transfer the fry pan into the oven and let cook uncovered for about 20 to 30 minutes or until done. Once done, remove to cool and enjoy.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 620Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 200mgSodium 2016mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 1gSugar 12gProtein 65g
Nutrition data is calculated automatically by Nutritionix and isn't always accurate. I am not a certified nutritionist and make no claims to the contrary. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health.